We call this Japanese Sencha because not all Sencha sold is from Japan. This is a nice blend of teas from the central Shizuoka province, and it is a very pleasant everyday tea. In fact our Founder, John Harney, started everyday with this green tea.
The Kaburagi family has sold to Americans for over 110 years. They are well known in Tokyo and throughout Japan as a pre-eminent supplier of tea. They supply this pleasant Sencha from central Shizuoka. To keep the price somewhat reasonable, we choose teas from the middle of the season. John Harney drank this tea everyday for over 10 years. He valued the pleasant flavor and the antioxidants.
- Dry Leaves- The leaves from this tea are a medium lime green color. Since this is a traditional sencha (futsumushi) the leaves are more identifiable than in the deep steamed (fukamushi).
- Liquor - The liquor is a medium green, not as intense as the Ichiban. The green is a truer green than the Bancha, which tends more towards yellow.
- Aroma - Our Japanese Sencha has pleasant spinachy notes, with slight roast flavors that are similar to toasted bread.
- Caffeine Level - Caffeinated
- Body - As a mid-season Sencha, this green tea has good levels of amino acids and more body than most green teas.
- Flavors - This is a very pleasant green tea. The mild vegetal flavors with light accents of citrus and toast make this a tea that can handle all your moods - every day.
- Brewing Time - 1 to 2 minutes
- Brewing Temperature - 160 F